Sunday, January 4, 2015

Favorite Books that I Read in 2014

So I decided to jump on the bandwagon and post my thoughts on what I read this past year. Keep in mind, I haven't read that many 2014-released books this year, so a lot of these are just my favorite books that I personally read this year. Many people might not care, but maybe this can at least be a good record for myself of my taste in 2014. And maybe a few people out there might discover a new book or author to read!


Favorite Novel I Read in 2014:

TIE:
The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz


Notable Mentions:
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley



Favorite Novel Actually Released in 2014:

Debbie Doesn't Do It Anymore by Walter Mosley
*It's not like this book was drop dead perfect or anything (as I said, I didn't read man 2014 releases this year), but for some reason this one really touched me.

Notable Mentions:
The Martian by Andy Weir
A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James


Favorite Author Discovery:

James Ellroy (books read: The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere)
*Ellroy is everything I want in an author: detailed characterization and plotting, great dialogue, crackling prose. Why I took so long to read him I have no idea

Notable Mentions:
Junot Diaz
Jim Thompson
Gabriel García Márquez
Lawrence Block
Megan Abbott


Book that Lived Up To Its Hype:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
*Gone Girl is just as twisted, enthralling, and exciting as everyone claimed


Biggest Disappointment:

S. by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams
*S. had such an awesome concept and gorgeous book design, but it fell totally flat, and strangely boring.


Book That I Deserves a Re-Read:

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
*Although I admired it, I feel that I didn't read it at the right time, and possibly missed out on really enjoying it. Re-reading soon!


Favorite Crime Novel:

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy


Notable Mentions:
Eight Million Ways To Die by Lawrence Block


Favorite Noir:

Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliot Chaze
*This book is a perfect noir and should be considered a classic. Lean prose, a cool title, kinky sex, violence, a heist, tragic lovers, and a great ending!

Notable Mentions:
A Hell of a Woman by Jim Thompson
Pick-up by Charles Willeford



Favorite Series That I Started and I'm Most Excited About:

Matthew Scudder Series by Lawrence Block
Crissa Stone Series by Wallace Stroby



Creepiest Novel:

The Deep by Nick Cutter


Most Entertaining Novel:

The Thicket by Joe Lansdale

Notable Mentions:
The Martian by Andy Weir


Favorite Short Story:

"Going To Meet The Man" (from the collection Going To Meet The Man: Stories) by James Baldwin


Favorite Short Story Collection:

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful