Monday, October 5, 2015

CRAWL by Edward Lorn

Author Edward Lorn is an active member on Goodreads and while we don't I've admired his book reviews and his taste in the horror genre. He doesn't seem to hound people for reviews which is refreshing, and his books have also gotten pretty good praise so when October came around I dropped a couple bucks on Amazon and gave this a go.

I was DEFINITELY not disappointed. I expected a good horror read but I didn't expect the writing to be as sharp and polished as the other greats in the genre. I know it's pretty much en vogue these days that whenever you read a good horror tale you compare it to Stephen King, but let me tell you, this comparison is undeniable and a total compliment with this book. Like King, not only is Edward Lorn's prose wicked and chilling, but it also mixes that with dashes of wit, a great sensitivity to character, and a dramatic bravery. Crawl is right up there with some of the best of King's short fiction.

The story is told from the point of view of Juliet and tells the story of what happens to her and her cheating husband as they travel along a dark highway on one creepy night.

And I must say, horror books don't really scare me that often but the way this story quickly descended really kept me wide-eyed and on edge, and there's one part that truly scared me. I won't say what it is here but holy shit, if I saw that in that situation, I'd probably shit myself before going insane. It's the fact that it's something so normally childlike and playful placed into a such a harrowing situation that really made it terrifying for me. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been scared while reading and this is one of them. That's enough for me to look into all of this author's work.

GRADE: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful