Thursday, December 21, 2017

GRAVEYARD LOVE by Scott Adlerberg

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would’ve when you begged me to."
One of the reasons I'm such a fan of noir is that I can't seem to resist reading stories about doomed losers and lowlifes making unfortunate decisions leading them deeper into ruin. This book might be a turnoff to some who prefer their fiction to have characters with mostly likable qualities. It's a creepy, sleazy bit of noir about a loser ex-writer that lives with his overbearing mom and the obsession he has with spying on a mysterious redhead who apparently plays with herself in a dead woman's tomb in the neighboring cemetery.
"I wish there was a curse. I sincerely do. I’d fuck you in a second, this instant, if I thought you were going to die afterwards. It’d be the easiest way to get rid of you."
It's a fascinating and brave psychological thriller that is constantly surprising. It takes the unreliable narrator, Kurt Morgan, from being just a man with a crush, straight in to pure stalker territory, and then to potentially something even darker. It's a sly, slippery little psycho-sexual noir that Hitchcock, Patricia Highsmith, or Brian DePalma would love!
I’m not a violent person. I didn’t get into fights at school and I don’t remember scuffling with anyone as an adult. What transpired with Charlotte began as consensual activity, then degenerated from there. And that activity wasn’t violent in the true sense; it involved the use of paraphernalia. None of which is what killed her; the drugs did that. But our time together did leave me with handcuffs.

GRADE: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful