Thursday, January 10, 2019

FAVORITE BOOKS OF 2018

2018 was another great year in general but whoa, it seems like I get more and more busy every year. I feel like my reading attention was at its worst this year and that may have affected my enjoyment of many of the books overall. I definitely jumped pretty heavily into reading more superhero comics, which was pretty fun. I definitely noticed a few things:

*I've been neglecting reading more older classic pulp and westerns. I miss them. So much to read!

*I also noticed that I didn't read that many short story collections. Maybe only three I think. That has to change.

*I realized that I enjoyed more books that were published this year than the ones that I read that were published earlier.

Anyway, here are some favorites. My humble awards, with less categories this time. 

(*) indicates my top favorite

__________________________________________________

Favorite Book I Read in 2018:

*Coyote Songs by Gabino Iglesias
The Man Who Came Uptown by George Pelecanos
The Listener by Robert McCammon
Cemetery Road by Gar Anthony Haywood
The Line That Held Us by David Joy

Favorite Novella:

*The Nobody by Tom Piccirilli
In The River by Jeremy Robert Johnson
Pretty Marys All In A Row by Gwendolyn Kiste

Favorite Short Story:

*"Finn's Missing Sister" by Jen Conley (from Cannibals)
"Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice" by Damien Angelica Walters (from Cry Your Way Home)


Favorite Superhero Comic Book:

*Ivar, Timewalker by Fred van Lente
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Year Two by Tom Taylor
Archer and Armstrong by Fred van Lente
Astro City: Confessions by Kurt Busiek
Black Hammer Vol. 2: The Event by Jeff Lemire

Favorite Non-Superhero Comic Book:

*Scalped: Book Three/Book Five by Jason Aaron
Trillium by Jeff Lemire
Southern Bastards: Book Two by Jason Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful