Friday, October 8, 2021

RAZORBLADE TEARS by S.A. Cosby

One of the best novels I've read this year. Coming off of his impactful sophomore novel, Blacktop Wasteland, S.A. Cosby outdoes himself with this soulful crime tale of two fathers who must overcome their prejudice, regrets, and self-pity and take action to avenge the brutal murder of their married gay sons.

There is something so pitch-perfect about the execution here, it's really a sight to behold. Every scene is integral and well-done, and each character is built with elegance, with every flaw and strength on display in equal measure. The book is also touching and funny, with brutal action, but not without moments of reflection. There's really not much else to say. I feel like this silly, inadequate review doesn't do the book justice it all, and it should speak for itself. I haven't read a book this well-balanced and this well-orchestrated in a while. 

There was no turning back. There was no path that lead anywhere except down a long road, as dark as your first night in hell, and paved all along the way with bad intentions.

GRADE: A 

1 comment:

  1. One thing I enjoy so much about Cosby's writing style is how visually cinematic it is in the mind's eye. When I read his writing it's like having the movie play in my head as I read. I hope the upcoming movie of Blacktop Wasteland captures his writing.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful