Tuesday, May 10, 2022

PIECES OF HER by Karin Slaughter

A good novel is hidden somewhere in here. I know it. Karin Slaughter’s book starts off with a promising and provocative opening sequence as our main character Andrea witnesses her speech therapist mom take down a mall shooter. 

But once the book attempts to move past this opening, and I started to be increasingly irritated by one of the least compelling protagonists I’ve ever read, it started to go downhill fast. Not only does Andrea have the personality of a sea slug but Slaughter falls into the habit of trying to telegraph drama by detailing her inner monologue of worrying and whining and it goes on and on. It’s tiresome to read. 

And I knew I was in for a bad time when someone asks Andy a question about something and her reply is:
“I don’t know… About anything actually.”
And then it got even worse when a new parallel flashback storyline is introduced and the main character there is just as irritating in the same way. Then, when I got to the 65% mark and I realized that nothing much had happened, it was the final straw. The book is painfully boring and actually tedious to read. 

GRADE: D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful