Tuesday, June 6, 2017

SOUTHERN CROSS: VOL. 1 by Becky Cloonan

This moody piece is a bit of cosmic horror and mystery set aboard a large passenger vessel on the way to the Saturn refinery moon Titan, where ex-con Alex Braith wants to find out the truth about her sister's suspicious death and ends up stumbling onto something terrifying aboard the Southern Cross. I enjoyed a lot of the atmosphere in this one and the way the cold artwork made the ship feel almost subterranean. I especially loved the creative panel work to show the geography of the ship and some cool imagery. The story itself wasn't as memorable as I hoped and the heavy first-person present narration is a pet peeve of mine. Especially in a comic book. I'd rather the makers show not tell. The constant "I wonder what's around this corner" or "What have I done?" type of narration tends to grate my nerves.

See a sample of this below:



I might continue to see where this all goes but this first volume was disappointing.

GRADE: C


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful